It doesn’t take a lot of money to look this expensive.
1. All you need for this doughnut costume is a swimming tube and some toilet paper rolls.
Get some paint to apply your “icing” and you’re good to go. Get the full how-to here.
2. Glue poms-poms onto a tank top to make a cute gumball machine.
Cut out a few pieces of felt and glue them onto a red skirt for the machine details. This costume can cost you under $10! Get the tutorial here.
3. Glue toy snakes onto bobby pins and add to your hair for a last-minute Medusa look.
Wear some gold accessories and a long, flowy dress for the full effect. Get more infohere.
4. For a quick Moaning Myrtle costume, get a cheap toilet seat and some glasses.
Cheap toilet seats tend to be super lightweight, which is bad if you’re sitting on them but great if you’re wearing them around your neck. Put your hair in pigtails and draw on some tears with eyeliner to really rock the look. Learn more about it here.
5. Spray paint lasagna pans and thread them with shoe laces to become the Ninja Turtles.
So cheap. So easy. So cute. Get more great ideas here.
6. Use tupperware, a box, and some paint for a quick Lego costume.
Get the tutorial here.
7. To get this look from The Shining, all you need is foam core and a toy axe.
To make the “door” look realistic, either use a damp tea bag to create a distressed wood effect or apply woodgrain contact paper to the foam core before cutting. Go thrifting for a red jacket and you’re all set. Get more info here.
8. Turn a bald cap and a purple scarf into Professor Quirrell and Voldemort.
Wear a cozy cape and you’ll look awesome while also staying warmer than all your friends. Learn more about it here.
9. To become R2-D2, you need a white dress, markers, colored tape, and a bicycle helmet.
10. You only need balloons and a large clear garbage bag for this cute jelly bean costume.
Use a black permanent marker to write the nutrition label on the back of the bag and look extra legit. See more photos here.
11. Poke white pipe cleaners into green sweats to make a super cozy cactus costume.
Use your fingers to strip off about half of the pipe cleaner fluff before pushing the bare end into your fabric. Knot the wire end to keep it in place and prevent it from stabbing you. You can also take this process and use it to create other spiky costumes like, say, a porcupine. Go here.
12. Pick up a plastic flower pot and some fake flowers from the dollar store for this potted plant look.
I suppose you could nix the flowers and go dressed up as “pot” for Halloween. Get more info here.
13. Glue fake crows onto a cheap jacket for some Alfred Hitchcock realness.
Glue a few extra birds onto a thick headband and add a little fake blood to look like you stepped off the set of The Birds. Get more ideas here.
14. Make a last-minute candy buttons costume with some foam balls and a tee.
Paint the foam balls and glue them to a dress or tee. Watch the video tutorial here.
15. Glue beige yarn and brown pom-poms onto a hoodie to go as spaghetti and meatballs.
Cut a piece of cardboard into the shape of a fork and cover it in aluminum foil and you’re good to go. See more here.
16. Grab some granny accessories and add boob scorch marks for a perfect Mrs. Doubtfire.
Carry around pot lids all night and anyone who grew up in the ’90s will instantly love you. Get more ideas here.
17. All you need is a paper plate and tape to morph into ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Draw on a sideways smile and everyone will show you some shruggie love. Get the tutorial here.
18. Glue craft sticks together to make the perfect Wilson accessory.
Add a bucket hat and plaid shirt to serve up this Home Improvement look. Get more info here.
19. Roll up craft paper for the cutest snail costume ever.
And paint styrofoam balls for antennae realness. Get the tutorial here.
20. Use grass hula skirts to make Cousin It come to life.
Don a bunch of grass hula skirts and top off the look with a top hat and sunglasses. You’ll make The Adams Family proud. Get the tutorial here.
21. Dress like an old lady and carry around a bunch of stuffed animals to be a cat lady.
Apparently old ladies are hardcore into hair rollers and only ever wear glasses, but you get the picture. Get more info here.
Cheap, baller costumes FTW!