33 Insanely Clever Upgrades To Make To Your Home!
Your dream home is only a few DIY projects away!
1. Build a small mailbox library.
Get directions here.
4. Install in-counter storage for your fruits, bread, and vegetables.
5. Save space with drying racks in your laundry room that disappear into the wall after use.
Right: Available here.
6. Split a regular door into dutch half doors.
Great if you have kids and/or pets. You can keep them in/out while still being able to monitor what’s going on in the room. Get a DIY for this project here.
7. Add personal tabs so everyone gets their own toilet seat.
8. Heat sensing tiles will turn every shower into an Aurora Borealis of color.
Get them here.
9. Add a half table over a toilet paper holder to save space in a small bathroom.
10. Recessed outlets mean that your furniture can actually sit up against the wall.
More information about this product here.
11. Outlets in drawers mean that you can get all that gadget clutter off the counter.
12. You could also install your outlets underneath your kitchen cabinets so they don’t interfere with the backsplash.
13. Give your appliances an expensive-looking makeover with stainless steel contact paper.
15. If your garage is adjacent to your kitchen or pantry, insert a small door for a super easy way to load groceries.
16. Build a porthole/tunnel into the wall to connect two rooms.
A super fun idea for connecting a playroom to the living room, or to provide an easy way to access two kids’ rooms.
17. Add a long shelf to a hallway.
18. Instead of bunk beds, opt for space-saving murphy beds in a kids’ room or guest room.
20. Add a cabinet to any dead space in your kitchen or laundry room for cleaning supplies.
This barely takes up any space!
21. Replace your house numbers with a modern font.
The ones on the right are available from Design Within Reach.
22. Make signs for the bathroom so your guests know where to go.
This crafter found the wooden replicas at Michael’s and painted them black.
23. Add a window seat to the landing of your staircase.
24. Light up your front or back porch with a chandelier.
25. Hide a slide-out coffee bar or kitchen appliances behind folding doors.
26. Use your kitchen drawers for a cutting board/scraps disposal station.
27. Add a doggie wash to a mudroom, laundry room, or entryway.
28. Missing a skylight? Get a Sun Tunnel
These are REAL, although you do need a certified roofer to install.
29. Install a slide-away “step” in your bathroom baseboard to solve your short person problems.
You can just slide it away when not in use instead of constantly tripping over the stool. There’s a DIY available here.
30. Stools on hinges inside of a kitchen island or bar are a total space-savers
31. Build drawers in wasted space between studs in the wall.
32. Mirrored tiles are a great substitute for a windowless room.
Left: mirrored subway tiles for a small dressing room or bathroom.
Right: a paned mirror that gives the illusion of light in a windowless basement.
33. Apply stone or tile to the siding of the foundation of your home.
Because the outside of your home should be just as pretty as the inside.