Not all sweet beverages are bad for you. Prune juice is loaded with nutrients that can improve your health and prevent diseases.
Prune juice is made using dried plums, therefore it’ll offer all the nutrients found in plums. Plus it will keep you hydrated.
Here are 7 reasons to drink prune juice regularly.
1. May prevent anemia
As you may know, anemia is caused by low amounts of healthy red blood cells in the body. Well, prune juice contains iron which helps make red blood cells.
A cup of prune juice contains 6 mg of iron, that’s 34 percent of the daily recommended intake.
2. May relieve constipation
Prune juice is popular among elderly folks because it fights constipation and indigestion. But we know that constipation affects people of all ages.
This study found that prune products relieve constipation and improve bowel movement.
3. May lower cholesterol levels
High cholesterol levels can cause plaque buildup in the arteries and this increases risk of stroke or heart attack.
Prune juice has been proven to prevent buildup of plaque. According to this study, the antioxidants in prunes help lower cholesterol levels.
4. May lower risk of colon cancer
5. May balance blood sugar levels
Just because prune juice is sweet doesn’t mean it will spike blood sugar levels. In fact, moderate intake of prune juice can regulate blood sugar levels.
Prune juice contains soluble fiber which has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and slow sugar absorption from foods.
6. May lower risk of liver disease
One study found that drinking prune juice can improve liver function and prevent diseases of the liver.
7. May prevent osteoporosis
According to this study, dried plums can prevent bone loss in postmenopausal women who have high risk of osteoporosis. Additionally, research shows that dried plums prevent loss of bone mass caused by radiation.
I may also note that prune juice contains boron, a mineral which helps strengthen the bones.
You may be wondering; how is it possible to make juice from dried plums? Actually, it’s not complicated at all. Here’s how to make prune juice.
- Remove pits from the dried plums (1 cup).
- Boil 5 cups of water. Put the prunes in a container then add the boiled water until the prunes are fully submerged. Store the remaining boiled water for later use.
- Soak the prunes for 12-24 hours. After soaking them blend them with the water they were soaked in until the mixture is smooth.
- Strain the mixture to get rid of the particles.
- Add the remaining boiled water to the mixture. The juice can stay fresh for a week in the refrigerator.
Drink prune juice in moderation if you want to drop pounds. A cup of prune juice contains 182 calories.
When was the last time you drank prune juice?