We first tried making our own rock candy a few years ago.
Today, we revisited this experiment but with a fun twist!
Do you think you can make rock candy from Kool-aid?
That was the question I posed to my girls this morning. After careful consideration both girls made their predictions, and then we jumped right in. Rosie and Jewel were so excited!
Preparing the Skewers
- Begin by soaking the bamboo skewers in a container of water. Leave them to soak for at least one hour.
- Remove the skewers from the water and then coat the bottom half in sugar
- Set the skewers aside and allow them to fully dry.
Preparing the Sugar Solution
- Begin by pouring 4 cups of water into a large pot, and then place it over medium heat.
- As the water heats slowly add white sugar one cup at a time and stir until dissolved.
- Continue to add more sugar and stir until you can not get any more sugar to dissolve in the water. (Just to give you an idea I used almost 10 cups)
- Once this occurs bring the mixture to a boil, and then allow the mixture to boil slowly for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and allow the sugar mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- While the water is cooling you can prepare your glass jars. Pour one packet of Kool-aid into each jar, using one jar for each color/flavor of rock candy that you wish to make.
- Then, pour the sugar water into the jars, and then stir each one until the Kool-aid is dissolved into the water.
Here is what our jars looked like after five days