Here is a fun project to try with the kids this Summer- Make solar s’mores!
All you need is an old pizza box and a few other readily available items from around the house. You could have the pizza for dinner and the s’mores for dessert? My kids thought that was a great idea!
- An empty pizza box
- Aluminum foil
- Plastic wrap
- Black paper
- A knife or box cutter
- Use the knife to carefully cut the lid of the pizza box on 3 sides, leaving it attached on the back end.
- Lift the flap, and cover the bottom side in foil.
- Then, line the bottom of the pizza box with black paper.
- And finally, tightly cover the hole in the box with clear plastic wrap. I found this diagram from Science U very helpful.
- For more on this experiment and how the oven works check out this article which offers a detailed explanation.
- To learn even more about solar energy and how it works give these experiments a try.